Join Black Lives Matter Sacramento for our annual #ReclaimMLK March
THIS WAS NOT THE DREAM
"A time comes when silence is betrayal."
Let us join together to commemorate the radical sentiment of Martin Luther King Jr.
The MLK Jr that no one speaks of.
The MLK Jr that doesn't accommodate the legitimacy of white supremacy, but instead the MLK Jr that tells us that "A Riot is the Language of the Unheard," that "I'm Black and I'm Beautiful"..
We will be marching from Safeway on Alhambra Blvd, to the State Capitol
When: Monday January 15th 2018
Where: Safeway on Alhambra
Time: Meet at 9:30am
Address: 1025 Alhambra Blvd
**Organizations Sponsoring this event:**
- ACLU Sacramento
- ANSWER Sacramento
- Awake Café and Community Space
- Brown Berets de SacrAztlan
- California Endowment
- Democratic Socialists of America - Sacramento
- Gender Health Center
- Green Party of Sacramento
- H.E.L.L.A. (Health Economics, Life Liberty for All)
- Hmong Innovating Politics
- Jewish Voice for Peace - Sacramento
- Justice for the Picnic Day 5
- King Hall Immigration Detention Project
- Lavender Library
- LCLAA Sacramento AFL-CIO Sacramento Chapter
- Norcal Resist
- Party for Socialism and Liberation
- Rural SURJ of NorCal
- Sacramento Justice League
- SURJ Sacramento
- Take Back the Night
- The Poor People's Campaign - Sacramento
- The Resistance Sacramento Elk Grove
- Unitarian Universalist Society of Sacramento
- Wellstone Progressive Democrats of Sacramento
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear?...It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity."
— “The Other America,” 1968
“When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, extreme materialism and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” — “Revolution of Values,” 1967
“The problems of racial injustice and economic injustice cannot be solved without a radical redistribution of political and economic power.” — “The Three Evils of Society,” 1967
* Let us all come together and march to eliminate racism & white supremacy, capitalism, patriarchy, heteronormativity, homelessness, poverty, fascism...
* Let us all come together and march for love, unity, and to build the power of the people.
* Let us continue to build people power in Sacramento through reclaiming Martin Luther King Jr day...
We will not be aligned with an event tainted in capitalism or sponsored by the very law enforcement entities that are killing us in the street., but with the people!